Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Binary Fission

Take a look at the YouTube video embedded below....the simplest living things (bacteria) reproduce through a process called binary fission. In this process, a cell doubles its genetic material (DNA), increases in size, and then splits in two. This process can occur for each cell every 20 minutes! So, 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, 4 becomes 8, 8 becomes 16, 16 becomes 32....64....128....256......and so on! And they do it on their own, without a partner - this is called asexual reproduction.



Check out the video and tell me what you think. I'm getting lonely here without any comments from my students (the comment on the Simpsons video was from my friend!).

Enjoy your day off!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool

Anonymous said...

Excellent. Thanks. I used it to teach my child.